Monday, May 2, 2011

Green Dessert

Green Dessert is a staple on my dad’s side of the family. No one in our family knows what the original name for it is. All that my grandma remembers is that when my dad and his sister were young, they couldn’t remember the name, so they called it Green Dessert. It’s kind of like a lemon lime, mousse/jell-o with an Oreo cookie base.  I have been eating it since I was a baby, but surprisingly this is the first time I have ever made it. You have to be very precise with the directions, if not it won’t set up and then the ingredients will separate. I made it for Palm Sunday and brought it to my uncle’s house last weekend to serve as our Easter dessert (we celebrated Easter a week early with them). Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Lets Get Cookin'Ingredients
1 large can Instant evaporated milk (NOT sweetened Condensed)
1 package Lime Jell-o
1 ¾ cups hot water
¼ cup Lemon juice
¾ cup sugar
2-3 rows of crushed Oreos
¼ cup melted butter

First crush Oreos into fine pieces in a bag and rolling pin. I reused an empty bread bag instead of a new gallon sized bag. Also it is easier to do ½ of the Oreos at a time. In a bowl, combine with the melted butter. Press into a 9 by 13 pan. Save some crumbs for the top. Chill.
Combine 1 package of lime Jell-o with water, in the chilled large bowl. Add lemon juice and sugar. Chill until syrupy, and then beat until foamy (do right before next step).
In a smaller bowl chilled, whip evaporated milk at a medium speed until it is almost at a cool whip consistency/ or seems stiff and forms loose peaks. Then add green food coloring and whip in.  Fold into above mixture.
Pour mixture on top of the Oreo base. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours until it sets up and is firm. Then add the leftover crumbs to the top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.


4 HOURS BEFORE COOKING
Put evaporated milk, the beaters and 2 bowls in the refrigerator until ready to use.



First crush Oreos into fine pieces in a bag and rolling pin. I reused an empty bread bag instead of a new gallon sized bag. Also it is easier to do ½ of the Oreos at a time.







In a bowl, combine with the melted butter.


Press into a 9 by 13 pan. Save some crumbs for the top. Chill.
Combine 1 package of lime Jell-o with water. Add lemon juice and sugar. Chill until syrupy.






and then beat until foamy (do right before next step).




In a separate bowl, whip evaporated milk at a medium speed until it is almost at a cool whip consistency/ or seems stiff and forms loose peaks. Then add green food coloring and whip in.




Fold into above mixture.
Pour mixture on top of the Oreo base. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours until it sets up and is firm.


Then add the leftover crumbs to the top.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.


I still have no idea where my camera went, but I got a new one YAY! The next pictures were taken with it. I took a lot of pictures of the finished, so I could test out different settings. I just decided to upload all of them, because I couldn’t chose a favorite:-)

















 ê  ê Critics reviews  ê  ê

Every in my family (on dads side) ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê ê
Would I make it again…
It has made it for the past 40 years, so I am pretty sure it is not going anywhere.
What would I change...
I wouldn’t change anything to it exactly. However, I have been think of using different flavored jell-o and different colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts