Saturday, August 27, 2011

Camping Menu and Oatmeal Scotchies

Wow time sure flies while traveling. I apologize for not posting sooner, but I was in Ohio a few weeks ago and then last weekend my grandparents took my brother and me to the St. James Hotel in Red Wing, MN. Also its summer and I need a break from the computer. However I am back at it, starting with camping!
                The first time I went camping was when I was 8 months old and have loved doing it ever since. This year I took four of my closest friends camping with me. It was one of the best weekends of my life. It involved lots of laughs, talking, walking, bugs, bonding, swimming AND of course FOOD.
Every time we go camping we bring enough food for an apocalypse, and we always end up taking most of it home.  Because we bring so much I thought I would share some of it with you:)


Menu

Here is the meal lowdown:
Friday night: We roasted marsh mallows on the fire and made s’mores.
Saturday morning:  For breakfast we had beagles cheese scrambled eggs, sausage, orange juice,  mini doughnuts and fruit.
Saturday Noon: Peanut butter  and jelly we had for lunch along with chips and cookies.
Saturday Afternoon: We had popcorn. My dad made a gigantic tub full of popcorn the day before we left.
Saturday Evening: We roasted hotdogs.
Saturday Night: More S’more’s and Jiffy Pop
Sunday Morning: We had cereal and bananas
Sunday Noon: We were not very hungry and just did some munching:)
Some other things we had where:
Oatmeal Scotches (see below for Recipe)
Lavender cookies: which my friend Mariel made. They were Delicious!
Pretzels: they are also a great healthier substitute for chips
We had a whole bunch more snack food, but you probably don’t care ;-)   
 Tip
Some tips for packing food that my dad and I have discovered.
·         Pack individual packs of cereal. That way every one will get kind that they like.
·         Also do this with chips. Everyone will have a kind that they like. As well people could eat a standard size chip bag, leaving none for anyone else.
·         We didn’t make pancakes this time, however a really easy way to do this is get the Bisquick Shake and Pour. All you have to do is add water.
·         Jiffy pop is a lot of fun, but it takes work, and you don’t get enough. So if you are planning of having popcorn make some to bring.







Oatmeal Scotchies


Oatmeal Scotchies are my mom’s favorite cookies. Packed with gooey butterscotch chips, and the fact they keep good in the humidity and heat, makes them the perfect cookie to bring camping.

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened

3/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract or grated peel of 1 orange

3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats

1 2/3 cups (11-oz. pkg.)


Lets Get Cookin’


Preheat oven to 375° F.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in small bowl.

Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl.
Gradually beat in flour mixture

Stir in oats and morsels
Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 7 to 8 minutes for chewy cookies or 9 to 10 minutes for crisp cookies. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

More from camping!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts