Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Inspiration: Victorian Fantasies

I feel like this year was the big turning point in my life, (and probably too many other of high schoolers also). In which I have finally found what I love. That would be all things: vintage, rustic, farmish, gardenish, Victorian, vintage, antique, handmade with love, colorful and anything that feels like it has been loved and from the heart.  You could plop me down anywhere in the 1700’s, 1800s, thru the 1950s and I would do just fine. Granted I have always loved this style, and I always go back to it, but finally I am absolutely, positively ok with feeling this way. I never really have cared what people thought about me, but being a 5th grader or even in middle school and saying I like the vintage look, is really strange, especially  when all of your friends are yipee High School Musical and Hannah Montana.
It probably all boils down to my mom and grandmas. In 1st grade my mom introduced me to Laura Ingalls Wilder. In second grade, I had one of my wonderful grandmas make me a Laura Ingalls Wilder costume for Halloween. By 4th grade my mom had finished reading me her books, but that didn’t stop my excitement for the old times. In 5th grade we did a State Fair project at school. We had to chose one person from Minnesota and write a biography and a tri-fold presentation about them. I think you can guess who I did mine, but if not I did it on Laura. I had all the books on display; I had my dress and a covered wagon, (which Laura made all of her 7 moves on). I was amazed moms came up to me with tears forming in their eyes saying “I remember when I was little, my grandma would read me these stories” or “when I was a kid I couldn’t wait to see the next episode” Then in 6th grade my other Wonderful Grandma helped me make another period dress for Halloween. In 7th grade my amazing church leader Amanda introduced me to the world of Ann of Green Gables. And let me tell ya’ there was NO TURNING BACK!! And now this year we watched Pride and Prejudice, and Northanger Abbey. I was, am, and forever will be, stuck in my Victorian fantasy:-)
However there is a twist to this fantasy. I love adventure. I would probably be the girl that was to head strong and my face always in a book. But then you think and say “hmm well isn’t all of the girls that you listed above a hero or adventure enthusiast.” If you did than you are right!!!!!!! I most likely get that drive from having a brother, and camping. The first time I went camping was around 8 months old. And I have gone at least once every year.  I have also grown up with light saber wars, match box cars, sports, super heroes (SMALLVILLE) and not afraid of getting muddy!
As you can see the girls in the books, and I would probably be great friends. It could be all in my head, but I don’t like to think that way.
Last night at girls group we watched part of Northanger Abbey because we LOVE historical romances. We were discussing how if we watched it with all the girls in our grade, most of them would A) be bored, or B) not understand it. But they are just so good, pure and innocent, no swearing, no awkward scenes. And you cannot tell me that riding in a car is more romantic than riding on a horse, it is just not possible. The horse always wins.
I was at Bachman’s this past weekend with my mom and grandma getting things to make a terrarium. While we were there I got super inspired by all of the vintage and rustic home décor that they sell. So I took some pictures (found some online too) and decided to make an inspiration post. Hope you enjoy!
                    Vintage Plates

My mom and I both have a serious addiction to blue and white plates. We don’t know why, but we do.


I realy like the plate on the left.


                                                        I absolutely love this plate!!

P.S. The next food post will have my all time favorite plate that my Grandma and Grampa got me it is so cute<3  (just for you mom its SUPER CUTE)



     Farmish and Gardeney Inspired Décor 

A melted jar that is now a plater / holder. How neat is that! They also  had melted coke bottles.



So if you don’t know what this is, it used to be on an old power line. But now it’s being used a candle holder. My mom has 3 of them, I think, and I really wanted her to get the holder for them.

                    Favorite Book

                         Dresses
It has always disappointed me that girls can’t just wear dresses like this anymore. They are so detailed and elegant, but out of season for quite some time now;-)  
                                             


Granted I would never have this style of wedding dress I love Anne of Green Gables dress.
If I could be any actress in the world I would chose Keira Knightley because I LOVE LOVE LOVE! The clothing she gets to wear! From a pirate to Elizabeth Bennet she has the most amazing roles.

                    My Second Home
                                      
As I mentioned camping has been a huge part of my life. We almost always go camping up in Lutsen, on the north shore. The next to pictures are of the bridge by Lutsen Resort (which neither I nor my family has ever stated at, granted we always go in to look at the polar bear). My parents got married on the bridge and we go back almost every year. It’s kind of one of those things that has more spirit and life than many people have. That might not have made any sense, but it is how I feel when I am there and is something I can’t really explain unless I am there.
This is the cascade river. It is one of the trails that we hike along while camping on the north shore. The other one we always hike is Temperance River because the campground we stay at is right on it.

I love being out on the water, it’s so peaceful and serene. I have canoed a lot more than sailing, but I did go to sailing camp one year and that was a lot of fun. I would like to go sailing more, it’s just that no one in my family knows how to and no one owns a sail boat :-)

Last and surly not lest is Superman. I have always loved superman. Then last year my dad bought almost all of the seasons of Smallville and we started to watch them together starting with season one. I swear it was love starting with in the first minute. And I am super said because on May, 13th (yes it’s a Friday) is season 10 and the series finally. Let me tell ya’, it will be a day of water works. If you are unfortunate enough to never have heard about Smallville, it’s a modern day take on Clark Kent’s life in high school and he’s trials and triumphs of learning about and using his powers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts