Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chocolate Cinnamon Squares

                 
These were amazing! I have been trying to venture out and make more of a variety of things, other than the basic cookies and cakes. Just because it gets kind of boring following the same recipes and knowing what everything will taste like. On Tuesday I was looking thru our cook books because I am making the dessert for my Moms, Aunts (my mom’s twin sister) and my Grandma’s birthday and I stumbled across this recipe, so I decided to make it. It was really simple and quick. They would be great for any type of party, get together and I think I might make them for the next time we go camping.

Lets Get Cookin’

Ingredients
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 egg, separated
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
6 oz of semisweet chocolate morsels
½ cup chopped pecans (optional (I did not put them on))

Combine the first four ingredients in a large bowl. Add butter, egg and egg yolk, mixing well. Press evenly into a lightly greased 15-x-10-X-1 jellyroll pan. (I used a cookie sheet because our jelly roll pan is MIA)  Beat egg white slightly, and brush over mixture.

                Combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, chocolate and pecans; sprinkle over bottom layer. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Cool and cut into 2 inch squares.

Yields 3 dozen


Combine the first four ingredients in a large bowl.

 Add butter, egg and egg yolk, mixing well.

 Press evenly into a lightly greased 15-x-10-X-1 jellyroll pan. (I used a cookie sheet because our jelly roll pan is MIA)


Beat egg white slightly, and brush over mixture.
Combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, chocolate and pecans
   
sprinkle over bottom layer
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes

My amazing plate my grandparents got for me.


Cool and cut into 2 inch squares.


êêCritics Reviewsêê
Paul êêêê Mom êêê1/2 Dadêêêê Me êêêêê Trevor êêêêê

Would I make them again…
YES!! I absolutely loved them. My brothers friend Trevor said “these are the best things that I have ever eaten. Well not as good as pizza, but the next best thing!” My mom was in the living room while they were baking and thought the smell was different than the taste (I think she was craving oatmeal scotches at the time) so she gave it a three and a half.  I am not positive if her rating counts ;-). My dad thought they were a bit to cinnamony, but I didn’t think that there was enough cinnamon. Who knows really.
What would I do different…
I would make it in a jellyroll pan. Granted the cookie sheet worked well, I just wished the side were a cleaner cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts