Friday, December 23, 2011

Merry Christmas


I know it has been almost 2 months ago that I posted, but Christmas cookies are all over my house needing to be shared. No matter if it seemed like The Taste Bud Diaries were dead!

I made the first batch of cookies with my friend Amy, right after Thanksgiving. We made Spritz (recipe below), and gingerbread cookies, both are my favorite. Amy also introduced an added flavor to the spritz recipe that I absolutely love. Using the wreath press, add dough in to the whole than put a dollop of raspberry jam in it. After cooked you can sprinkle powder sugar on top to give it a polished and impressive touch. The flavor is heavenly.




The next cookies were twisted candy canes. I made them with the confirmation class of 6th graders I co-teach. We took a day off from the curriculum and made cookies for women shelters around the twin cities. It was amazing how excited the kids got when they found out they could give back to the community by doing something fun.


 
The next cookies were twisted candy canes. I made them with the confirmation class of 6th graders I co-teach. We took a day off from the curriculum and made cookies for women shelters around the twin cities. It was amazing how excited the kids got when they found out they could give back to the community by doing something fun.




 
Last weekend we went to my grandma’s house to make lefsa. It’s a Scandinavian food made out of potatoes and usually looks like a tortilla when all done. This year we used 7 pounds of potatoes and 3 pounds of butter, for a total of 80 lefsa's. Every Christmas eve we have Swedish meat balls and lefsa. I have never gone a year without. My Parents and brother also made popcorn balls last weekend. Sadly I was not home to enjoy making them. I did however eat my fair share




On Thursday evening I was noticing our cookie supply was running low. Paul and I made more spritz for Christmas day, because my family is hosting my mom’s side.  About 15 people would be without Christmas cookies :( We cant have that!
 








 
Spritz Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup of butter, softened
½ cup sugar
2 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla (I like almond
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg
Heat oven to 400°. Mix butter and sugar. Stir in remaining ingredients. Fill cookie press with dough: form desired shapes on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until set but not brown, 6 to 9 minutes.
You can also use food coloring or sprinkles to add some festiveness. 

 
I will be making a ginger bread cake for Christmas eve at my grandparents, on my dad’s side. And (fingers crossed) will be up in early January. I would do it sooner, but on Christmas night I am leaving for Washington dc and won’t be back until next year.







Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts